Who is a Non- Resident Indian (NRI)?
Non-Resident Indian Means:
A person resident outside India who is a citizen of India or a person of Indian origin i.e.
- Indian citizens who proceed abroad for employment or for carrying on any business or vocation or for any other purpose in circumstances indicating indefinite period of stay outside India.
- Indian citizens working abroad on assignments with Foreign Governments, Government Agencies or International / Multinational Agencies like United Nations Organization (UNO), International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank etc.
- Officials of Central and State Governments and Public Sector Undertakings deputed abroad on assignments with Foreign Government Agencies / Organisations or posted to their own offices including Indian Diplomatic Missions abroad.
- Students going abroad for studying are now treated as Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) and are eligible for all the facilities available to NRIs under FEMA.
Who is PIO?
A person of Indian origin who is a citizen of any other country other than Bangladesh or Pakistan, if :
- She/ He, at any time, held an Indian passport or
- She/ He or either of her/his parents or any of her/his grand-parents was a citizen of India by virtue of Constitution of India or Citizenship Act 1955 (57of 1955)
- The person is a spouse of an Indian Citizen or a person referred to in sub clause (i) or (ii) above
Who is Returning Indian?
Returning Indians i.e. those Indians who were non-residents earlier, and are returning now for permanent stay in India are permitted to open, hold and maintain Resident Foreign Currency (RFC) A/c.